The Institute for the Future created a guideline for ethical rules around cognitive augmentation -- whether the device goes on your body or inside your body.
"'Magna Cortica is the argument that we need to have a guidebook for both the design spec and ethical rules around the increasing power and diversity of cognitive augmentation,' said IFTF distinguished fellow, Jamais Cascio. 'There are a lot of pharmaceutical and digital tools that have been able to boost our ability to think. Adderall, Provigil, and extra-cortical technologies.'"
Here are some basic principles outlined in the guideline:
1. The right to self-knowledge
2. The right to self-modification
3. The right to refuse modification
4. The right to modify/refuse to modify your children
5. The right to know who has been modified